Trade gold online
Modern global markets enable anyone to trade commodities, making it easier than ever to trade gold and other metals without needing to physically own them. Gold trading via CFD’s involves opening a temporary order to buy or sell an exact amount of gold. The profit or loss is determined by the change in the price of the metal for the duration of the contract.
At AvaTrade you can trade gold online, easily and effortlessly. Try gold trading with Australia’s leading regulated broker and enjoy the following benefits:
- Trade gold with competitive spreads
- Make larger trades with leverage of up to – among the largest in Australia
- Choose MetaTrader 4 platforms
- Trade whichever way you think the market will go – long or short
- Trade anytime with our unique app AvaTradeGO
- Get 24/5 live client support in Australia, with multiple languages
Open an account today & get an amazing welcome bonus.
Claim your bonus today!
Gold Trading History
Gold has been mined since prehistoric times, with its form and beauty making it attractive to many ancient civilisations. From large gold nuggets through to small pieces of gold at the bottom of a river, this metal has always been precious. The demand for gold was so high that ancient Egyptians started mining the metal in 2000 BC. Throughout history, many civilisations have made the decision to use gold as a reliable and universal form of exchange for trading goods.
The gold standard describes a monetary system where the economic currency is backed up by the gold reserves of the issuing country. This standard came to exist after the recognition of gold as an actual currency. This standard was abandoned by the United Kingdom and the whole British Empire during World War I, with most other countries also abandoning it during the 20th century.
How to trade gold
Different forms of gold available to traders and investors:
- Physical metal (bullions or coins) – A bullion is a grouping or bulk of precious metal. Measured in the form of a bar and weight.
- Gold certificates – These are very similar to the first paper bank notes. Commencing in the 17th century, gold certificates acted as proof of gold ownership and were passed on like cash payments. Today, they are still issued by certain banks and represent a quantity of gold bullion or coins.
- Gold futures – This represents a contract agreement for the delivery of gold at a set price in the future. Investors use gold futures to help manage price risk. Since gold futures contracts are traded at centralized exchanges, they offer more leverage and flexibility than trading commodities themselves.
- Gold-based ETFs ETF’s – exchange traded funds, are managed by gold trading experts. If gold continues to offer good returns, ETFs can potentially give traders a better chance to earn more than if they were to trade on their own. Keep in mind that the fluctuating price of gold will continue to affect the ETF.
- MT4 Symbol – GOLD
- Exchange – NYMEX
- Trading Hours – 23:00 – 21:59
- Margin: 0.50
- Increment: 0.01
- Minimum Trade Size: 1 ounce
Why Trade Gold with AvaTrade Australia
You can join AvaTrade today for as little as and start trading gold and other precious metals. As a welcome bonus, we are offering up to $10,000, depending on your initial deposit. AvaTrade is a regulated and trusted broker on 5 continents, and is an Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) regulated firm. We have been trusted by our clients for the past 11 years and are here to help you today. You will get access to a range of educational tools, trading advantages and benefits that are exclusive to AvaTrade clients.
We offer a range of trading platforms for all types of traders and levels of experience, including automated trading solutions. With AvaTrade, you are guaranteed to find a trading environment that suits your style.
Get started in gold trading with AvaTrade and you could receive a new client bonus.
Gold Trading Online
Gold trading with AvaTrade is easy to understand, especially if you have some experience in the forex market. Gold units are measured in Troy Ounces against a currency – usually the dollar – in a similar way to a Forex currency pair.
Gold Trading Influences and Gold Trading Strategy
Several distinct factors come into play when analysing the movement of the Gold price:
- Supply and demand – Most of the global demand for gold comes from jewelry production and manufacturing (50%), along with investment purposes (40%). Increased demand with low supply can mean a higher price, with oversupply likely to weaken demand and drive prices lower.
- Market sentiment – Political uncertainty and/or instability contributes to global economic uncertainty and the price of gold.
- Market volatility – Gold has often been used as a safe haven investment when markets are unpredictable.
- Currency movements – The US dollar is a strong influencer. When the dollar falls, commodity prices around the world increase. The US dollar and gold have an inverse relationship.
Overall if you are looking to an alternative investment arena, or a hedge – which is a reduced risk of price movements in any asset, then gold might be the right asset for you.
Please note that trading in this market involves risk like any other.
Few tips for trading gold:
- Gold is often compared to the price of yen since both assets fall into the category of a “safe haven instrument”. Because gold and yen often move in the same direction, you can check your trade set ups by comparing the two.
- Focus on the behavior of gold price and always remember that commodities can move more than currencies.
- The most popular Gold exchange rate is the XAU to USD rate. XAU is the trading terminal’s code for gold.
Are you ready to start trading gold today? Start trading the gold market with AvaTrade and get a welcome bonus.